more us tax forms ...help

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

moi

more us tax forms ...help

Post by moi »

ok, I thought paying my 2012 taxes ended my relationship with the US. Now, they are saying I have to keep filing for as long as I am getting alimony from the us...I am paying my taxes to CRA...So, I know I don't owe the irs any money,(I pay more in taxes in Can than I did in the US) but there are so many forms and I'm not sure which ones I have to fill out now. I have abandoned my PRC, but they haven't recognized that yet...Everytime I phone for help, I get a different answer from the irs. Am I missing any...
1040NR
form 114 not sure if I still need to file but I'll do it anyway
Thanks for your help.
moi

Post by moi »

Not sure if I need form 8833, I saw that on the web. It seems like a lot of gibberish I don't understand.
MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

Hi,

I think you need to figure out for certain which tax form you need to file ie. 1040NR or 1040. I believe the US must recognize that you are no longer a PRC holder - there are others that know more about this, so I'll let them respond.

If 1040NR is correct, ie, you are not a US taxpayer due to your residence in Canada, and no US citizenship, then I believe you would only include the alimony and offset the tax using 1116.

Do other's agree with me? I'm not 100% sure on this one.
------------------------------
MGeorge is neither an accounting nor taxation professional.