Received IRS forms, but no income?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

whisper

Received IRS forms, but no income?

Post by whisper »

Background: I am a Canadian citizen, and in the past lived and worked in the US for a few years. I have been back in Canada since 2010. I am registered with a class action lawsuit connected to one of the companies I worked for in the US.

The administrators of the lawsuit have sent me two IRS forms for the 2014 tax year (1099-MISC and W-2), showing small balances paid to me. But I have not actually received any money yet. What do I do about this?

Do I need to report this on my Canadian tax return? Or can I wait until I actually receive a payment, possibly years in the future?

Is there any reason to file a return with the IRS showing this income? I have not been filing IRS returns in recent years, as my US income, outside of 401-k plans, is about $1/year.

Thanks in advance!