Unrealized Foreign Exchange

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Stevecanada

Unrealized Foreign Exchange

Post by Stevecanada »

I am a US citizen who has been living in Canada since I was a child. All my financial accounts (checking account, and GICs) are in CDN$ only. I report to the IRS all interest that I earn. I never convert Canadian$ to US$. Are unrealized / accrued foreign exchange gains/losses on my checking account or GICs reportable to (and taxable by) the IRS?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since you haven't made any exchanges, there is no exchange gains/losses.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Stevecanada

Post by Stevecanada »

Thank you Nelsona for your prompt reply.

Just to be sure I understand, if one of my Canadian GICs matures, and I deposit the proceeds in my Canadian checking account (in CDN$), I do not have to worry about an "unrealized" gain or loss in the value of the principle of the GIC relative to the US dollar which occurred over the term of the GIC? I am calling this "unrealized" because I never exchange CDN$ for US$. I only have to report the interest earned?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Correct. You are always dealing in Cdn cash.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nohairleft

Post by nohairleft »

Wouldn't he be subject to FX gains or losses based on the US$ cost at which he acquired the CDN$, as of the time he disposed of the CDN$? (Assuming the transaction gain was over $200, of course.)

Or at least that's what I thought nelsona wrote here many moons ago: http://forums.serbinski.com/viewtopic.php?p=12900#12900

(Or is that discussion really only relevant to the RRSP book value calculation?)
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

We are talking GICs here. That is considered cash. The GIC would be lumped in with ALL Cdn cash he EVER recieved. It is unrealistic to come up with an average cost basis in USD of every CDn penny he ever made.