T2209 - Net foreign non-business income

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

albertan

T2209 - Net foreign non-business income

Post by albertan »

I am a Canadian resident who worked in the US for part of the last year. I recently filed my US taxes using the W-2 slip I received.

Now I am trying to complete my Canadian return, and am not sure what to include in the "Net foreign non-business income" box. I know the gross pay I received in the US from my salary, but I also received several benefits which were taxable in the US, including relocation and fitness benefits. In addition, the amount in box 1 of my W-2 form is even greater still than the sum of my gross pay and US taxable earnings.

Which amount do I report as Canadian income? My best guess is to add my gross salary plus the (US-taxable) benefits I received, but this still does not include the mystery compensation added to the first box of my W-2 by my employer.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Everything on your W-2 is income to report in Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The extra compensation for moving expenses is also taxable in Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
albertan

Post by albertan »

Thanks, nelsona.

How should I determine the exchange rate to use for this discrepant amount? Is it appropriate to apply the daily average rate to my salary based on the day it was paid into my account, and then apply the yearly average to other benefits that do not have a specific pay date noted on my pay stubs?

Further, what date shall I use when calculating the exchange rate for the amount of non-business income tax I paid to the USA?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

average is fine