Departure Tax

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

YankCanuck

Departure Tax

Post by YankCanuck »

Can someone explain how one is taxed when one moves to the US from Canada (ie. the departure tax)? I am a dual citizen who was born and raised in the US, moved to and has lived in Canada for 26 years, has two grown dual citizen children, and is no longer married. I am considering relocating to a warmer climate and am weighing the pros and cons of making my primary residence in the US or just adopting a snowbird lifestyle. Looking into issues such as departure tax, health care, estate taxes, RRSP income, etc. Thank you.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

All your investments (with a few exceptions) are deemed by CRA to have been sold on the day you left, triggering cap gains (and losses) on that day, and reported as such on your departure return,

See the CRA Emigrant guide on their website.

For US citizens, IRS essentially accepts this process as well, so that the tax you pay in Canada can be used on your US return in the same year.

You will need your own US health insurance, since your provincial coverage lapses when you leave.

Thee is much info on this forum on these topics, please browse
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D