Inheritance

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Eric

Inheritance

Post by Eric »

My wife and I have been living in the US for a few years already. My wife's father recently passed away and she inherited of her father's house in Canada. When she decides to sell this property she will have to deal with capital gain because she doesn't live in this house, but are the rules different because she is not resident of Canada ? From what I understand, a resident would pay capital gain taxes on the difference between the fair market value of the house at the time her father passed away and the price she sells it for (please correct me if I'm wrong). Any advice on how to deal with this situation would be appreciated. Thanks.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

The tax treatment is the same, except that, if she is non-resident at time of sale, she must comply with certain reporting aspects prior and after sale.
Any gains would ALSO have to be reported in US if still living there, with credit taken for Cdn tax paid
Eric

Post by Eric »

Could you explain a little more what you mean by "reporting aspects prior and after sale". Thanks.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Non-residents must have certain portion of the proceeds withheld at sale; that portion can be reduced or eliminated by filing certain forms with CRA before closing.
Also, the sale must be reported on a non-resident tax return, as opposed to simply having NR tax withheld as final tax payment (like non-resident interest and dividend income, for example).

You will find all you need to know at CRA's "International" section of their website. All this will only be of interst to you if you sell while still outside Canada.
Mark T Serbinski CA CPA
Site Admin

Post by Mark T Serbinski CA CPA »

Also, if you are living in the U.S., let's not forget that the inheritance may need to be reported on form 3520 in the U.S., since it adds to your taxable estate.

Regards,

Mark T. Serbinski, CA, CPA