reasonable price for accounting dual citizen

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tdiddy

reasonable price for accounting dual citizen

Post by tdiddy »

Hello

My partner and I have been on the fence regarding her renouncing for sometime. We discussed things with a tax lawyer who assured us with the right plan we won't have to pay any additional taxes (although i'm not clear how we will eventually avoid obamacare tax short of my partner avoiding all RRSP benefits)

We were doing it personally until a few years ago after completing medical training. Got an accountant in Montreal to do it for a very reasonable amount last few years. Now moved west and I'm getting quotes around $2K year just for IRS filing. Is this reasonable?? We will only pay around $500 for Canadian filing. As she is just starting her career this is enough to tip us over the edge towards renouncing, preferably in the next few months before we would have to pay an exit tax

Thanks for the help
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Why not use the person from Montreal. There is no need for face-to-face on this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tdiddy

Post by tdiddy »

yeah that is an option for sure I guess. he has made a couple or errors that do not instill a lot of confidence so we were leaning towards moving to someone else (before getting these quotes), although is a partner and CA in a reputable firm there so perhaps we are reading into them too much

just not sure why the market for these services is so different from one side of the country to the other
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Proabably because there are a LOT fewer US citizens in quebec than out west.
Frankly, I found it distasteful how the big firms gouged (yes) US citizens over the past few years.

Hopefully your montrealer learned from his mistakes. The more expensive ones make are error-prone too.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
stewak2

Post by stewak2 »

For what it's worth I pay about $2k, that includes Canadian, US returns and FBAR filings. Toronto accountant.
It's deductible in Canada as well.
tdiddy

Post by tdiddy »

stewak2 thanks for the info, yes I know its deductible. But every little thing puts us a bit closer towards renouncing.

But in the interimI have taken nelsona's advice and recontacted our Montreal guy
Phil Hogan, CA

Post by Phil Hogan, CA »

Not sure that I can complete the returns for (Canadian and US), but if they are relatively simple I should be able to get everything done for less than $2,000.

I'm in Victoria, and at the very least I could point you in the right direction.

Please give me a call and I'll see if I can help.

Cheers

Phil
Phil Hogan, CA, CPA (Colorado)
Cross-border investment advisor
http://philhogan.com
250-661-9417
Victoria BC
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

$500 for a simple US filing in Montreal is workable, I do it for that myself and I am in Montreal so its not a problem at all. In Montreal like anywhere else you need to find the right person who can take care of you at a reasonable price.
JG