Nelson - electing to file as US resident?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Carson

Nelson - electing to file as US resident?

Post by Carson »

Nelson: I recall you mentioning in a past post ( I have not been able to find it) that under the Treaty (non-disc clause?) all Canadian tax residents could theoretically elect to file as US tax residents even though there is no requirement to do so. I may of course have completely "misremembered" your comments. Could you elaborate a little on this please?

I'm interested because I have a situation where a client is a Canadian resident shareholder in a regular US corp with 4 other individual US resident shareholders. The latter four would like to elect as an S corp but can't.

Can the Canadian file as a US tax resident and thereby have the corporation qualify as an S corp? Or is this as I suspect, a wee bit too aggressive?

Thanks very much for your insight.

---------
Regards,

Carson Hirner
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Article XXV -- for individuals -- entitles them to file a 1040 rather than a 1040NR (ie. they do not have to satisfy any of the conditions which allow for filing a 1040 residence/citizenship/presence

The article also says that this applies to 'all taxes' imposed by the authority.

So undoubtedly one could fill-out a 1040, reporting world income, and determine their overall US Fed tax liability, and then determine that same liability as a non-resident, filing the minimum required under their situation.

If their liability was less under 1040 than as a non-resident, XXV could be invoked.

How this applies to an an S-corp and its owners? I don't know what the definitions of S-corp and ownership are so I'll leave that to you.
However, you did say that it is the US citizens that are being told that they cannot file S-corp, not simply the Cdn. I don't see how, then, this would be discriminatory against them, since this is a case of the IRS talking to a US citizen, which means they can do what they want.

If the USC's were allowed a certain tax break that the Cdn wasn't, THEN I could see this as a XXV issue.

You'll have to find in the S-corp regs under what circumstances a foreigner can be an owner.

<i>nelsona non grata</i>
Carson

Post by Carson »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nelsona</i>

Article XXV -- for individuals -- entitles them to file a 1040 rather than a 1040NR (ie. they do not have to satisfy any of the conditions which allow for filing a 1040 residence/citizenship/presence

The article also says that this applies to 'all taxes' imposed by the authority.

So undoubtedly one could fill-out a 1040, reporting world income, and determine their overall US Fed tax liability, and then determine that same liability as a non-resident, filing the minimum required under their situation.

If their liability was less under 1040 than as a non-resident, XXV could be invoked.

How this applies to an an S-corp and its owners? I don't know what the definitions of S-corp and ownership are so I'll leave that to you.

However, you did say that it is the US citizens that are being told that they cannot file S-corp, not simply the Cdn. I don't see how, then, this would be discriminatory against them, since this is a case of the IRS talking to a US citizen, which means they can do what they want.

You'll have to find in the S-corp regs under what circumstances a foreigner can be an owner.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

As usual, that's very helpful, thanks.

It seems that a C corp is unable to elect as an S corp when there is a non-resident shareholder, period.

---------
Regards,

Carson Hirner