Is form 8833 also required if filling out form 8891 for RRSP

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Frankd1

Is form 8833 also required if filling out form 8891 for RRSP

Post by Frankd1 »

I'm looking for clarification on this subject… It is for my wife who is a USC in Canada as a PR. I am a Canadian Citizen only.

She is completely up to date with all filing years and form 8891 for her spousal RRSP.

In the past AND in addition to form 8891, we have also included a form 8833 with an attached statement. The statement basically said:

"election to defer taxation on RRSP and/or Canadian Pension Plan earnings under article XVIII (7) of the Canada - US income tax convention (1980) pursuant to revenue procedure 2002-23 and notice 2003-75"

The statement included the account and number as well as the Jan 1 opening balance and Dec 31 closing balance of the RRSP.

The more I think about it, and from some research that I have done, it seems that submitting a form 8833 with attached statement for the RRSP is redundant and just extra paperwork that is not needed. As long as a form 8891 continues to be filed then all is well in that regard.

Sound about right?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It is redundant. It has always been since 1985 when Rev Proc 85-45 came into effect. That is what those rev procs did.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Frankd1

Post by Frankd1 »

Good to know, thanks for confirming!
MadeleLaidler

Re: Is form 8833 also required if filling out form 8891 for RRSP

Post by MadeleLaidler »

RRSP subject is one of the famous and compulsory subject in Canada we have to clear this subject to enter in Canada. I have been using https://www.proessaywriting.com/online-coursework-help/ to prepare RRSP so that we have to clear it.
karljrockwell

Re: Is form 8833 also required if filling out form 8891 for RRSP

Post by karljrockwell »

I agree, this post outlines some great tips. However, one thing that freshmen in particular might find useful is a [url=https://www.paytowritepaper.com/essay-writing-service/]college essay writing service[/url] for ordering custom papers and essays. Anyone can make use of professional services like these.