Reclaiming withholding tax as a W2 employee

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sheri

Reclaiming withholding tax as a W2 employee

Post by sheri »

hello,
I am currently working in the US and receiving a W2 from the company I work for. I live in Canada and commute to the US. I am in the US less than 183 days so I will be filing a 1040NR and filing my Canadian taxes. Currently the company withholds roughly 25%. How much of the withheld taxes will I be able to recoup when I file in Canada?

thank you in advance!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you worked in US and made more than $10K, you cannot be exempted from US taxation on that income, regardless of number of days in US. It is only if you were working for a CDN employer in US for less than 183 days that you could make such a claim.

In any case, you need to file a 1040NR (and perhaps a state return) to figure ut your tax (not claim an exemption from tax).

You then use the tax on these returns (plus fica) as a credit on your Cdn return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D