TFSA Capital Gains on 3520a and 1040

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dave23100

TFSA Capital Gains on 3520a and 1040

Post by dave23100 »

I have capital gain on my TFSA that I must report on 3520a. (PartII).
On what line do I report those capital gains on my 1040? As they are long term cap gains, is there a different tax rate? Do I have to fill out Sched D?

Thanks! (I'm closing the TFSA ASAP:)
hello3520

Post by hello3520 »

I have the same question.

I called the international IRS phone number and the response I got was to include the capital gains on line 13.

In my case, we are filing jointly, my wife has some capital losses from Schedule D, and I have a gain on the 3520-a, so I put the sum of these two numbers on line 13.

I don't know if this is correct but it seems to follow the intent of the 3520-a statement "Report each Item on the proper form or schedule of your tax return"

The problem I had with putting the capital gain on Schedule D is that Schedule D is broken down into Short-term and Long-term gains. The 3520-a doesn't seem to care if these gains are short-term nor long-term and just lumps them together which is why I think it needs to be added in on line 13 of the 1040.