Excluding CPP/OAS from 1040 taxable amount with TaxACT

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rafa02

Excluding CPP/OAS from 1040 taxable amount with TaxACT

Post by rafa02 »

nelsona, I saw one of your posts that you use Taxact and you have also advised for a USC/Can resident to report CPP/OAS on line 1040-20a and to exclude this amount from line 20b.

I cannot see how to exclude this amount from 20b without an override and then TaxAct informs that the return cannot be electronically filed. In the past I have not reported any amount on line 20a and then submitted an 8833 explaining that I was excluding this amount. Perhaps that was incorrect. Any suggestions?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Do whatever works. You will be preparing a "fake" SSA 1099 slip on which you can probably fix the numbers so that 20a and b are correctly populated.

How else do you populate 20a?

You will need the 8833 in any event.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

or a fake SSA 1042S
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Diskdoctor

Post by Diskdoctor »

Anybody find a good way to get around this in the Taxact software?