TFSA Filing requirement

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Post Reply
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:04 pm

TFSA Filing requirement

Post by basilfawlty » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:48 am

Hello - question regarding foreign grantor trust filing requirement. I moved to the US this year and unfortunately due to timing didn't close my TFSA until about a month after moving. On the date of my move, I still had some securities in there, which I liquidated the day after moving to the US. Distributed out the cash from the TFSA a few weeks later. As I said, bad timing - didn't get around to it due to everything going on. I moved early in the year.

Question is, do I have to go through the costly process of getting an EIN for the trust and filing form 3530? Or might it be OK to not worry about it since I "almost" closed it before moving and then also the fact that it was closed shortly thereafter. For context, I have cut ties and plan to file as US tax resident from date of arrival here.

Thank you.

Posts: 16544
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Post by nelsona » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:43 am

Getting an EIN is not costly or time consuming. Go to and get one.
Nelsona Non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D

Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:31 am

Post by nicholascage » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:47 am

To file Tax Extension Forms to IRS, You need EIN. You can apply online to receive EIN.

Name Control: A name control is a sequence of characters derived from a taxpayer’s name that is used by IRS in processing the tax return filed by the taxpayer. It is important that the combination of name control and taxpayer identification number (TIN) provided on an electronically filed return match IRS’s record of name controls and TINs. A name control is established by the IRS when the taxpayer requests an Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Customer can call IRS to verify the Name control using Business & Specialty Help Line at 1-800-829-4933

If the customer has recently applied and received EIN from IRS, it takes about 15 days to get into the e-file system. IRS will reject the filings during this time.
Pun and McGeady - Tax Advisory Services in California

Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:23 am
Location: Canada

Post by MGeorge » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:05 am

Hello Basil Fawlty,

The 2013 year form 3520 does not require an EIN - you can provide a "reference ID" instead, this is a code that you create that you must use consistently year after year.
Although, as nelsona mentioned, you can apply for an EIN (or get the existing one) from the IRS directly. I think you can do it by phone or fax.


Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:43 pm

Post by ChromiumDioxide » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:21 pm

Hello, sorry to intrude on the thread. I too need an EIN, but there seems many different types ( ... e1ff2d37c6).

Is there a guide anywhere regarding what type/how to get one for TFSA reporting requirements?

Post Reply