help!

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

undutchable

help!

Post by undutchable »

Hi,
Sorry about this, but first of all, I'm new to this site and secondly, to put it bluntly, I don't know crap about taxes, and I am aware I have some problems, but how many other problems am I unaware of? Here's my situation:
-am a canadian citizen with 3 kids, was married to cdn husband, divorced in 2001 and remarried to a dutch man in NL a couple of months later.
-left Canada in '97 (did taxes that year in April with Cdn husband, left in November and lived on Isla Margarita Venezuela)
-never filed anymore tax forms
-sent letters re: child tax credit stating we no longer qualified as we lived in Ven.
-cdn husband left in'98 and took two youngest children to Canada (international kidnapping), leaving eldest with me in Ven.
-child and I moved to Holland in '99, remarried to Dutch man in '01, who did taxes in Holland, claiming my son and I (we had residency status in NL). I have had NO income since leaving Canada in '97
-someone in the embassy then suggested I fill out a Cdn tax form. Not knowing what I should do, I filled one out and just wrote zeros in all the income spaces, and put an x in the box that said I wasn't a resident of Canada.
-I encountered my first problem which I am aware I will need to deal with, Child tax credits had continued to come in my name and my ex continued to spend them for all 3 children even the checks that were during the time all of us lived as a family in Ven. The checks were automatically deposited in a Cdn bank account in our joint bank account. I could not access this acct in Ven, and ex told me I'd been removed from the acct, apparently not true and when I filed this tax form in '01, CRS contacted me saying while I would have a good legal case against him (fraud included because he'd filled out a tax form for me and signed my name to it) I am still liable for the money and then I would in turn have to sue him for the money back. I can prove with my passport that I was not in Canada during the times of these checks and also that I had NO access to that bank account. I am being held responsible for about $7000 CDN.
-after this news, I never filed a tax paper again. My dutch husband always did the taxes for us in Holland and now in Aruba where we currently have residency. Again, I have had NO income since leaving Canada in '97 and in the fall of '03, I got custody of the two youngest children back from my ex.

My Dutch husband, children and I are planning on returning to Canada in a year, what can I expect from CRS aside from this child tax problem I already know of. Was I responsible to do Canadian tax forms even while having residency in other countries, with no income and my husband claiming me in his dutch taxes???
Sorry, I know it's complicated, but all I've ever known about taxes was in Canada, take your T4 to H&R Block and get cash back!
Thanks for any help you can give me of and any warning of any problems I'm going to face.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

rhollan,

dutchies post was already too long; now you've just made the thread unreadable.

<i>nelsona non grata</i>
undutchable

Post by undutchable »

Rhollan,
Thanks so much for your help. In answer,
0)yes
1)did the tax forms for '96, then left on vacation and never went back, didn't give notice to anyone in CRS, only to Child Tax Credit that we'd be leaving indefinitely and didn't think we were entitled so please stop sending the checks. Ex destroyed all evidence regarding the letters to CTC when he returned to Canada.
2)We only had bank accounts, Sears account, and Canadian Tire Accounts, no house.
3) The only income my ex had at the time was Disability, I had no income.
4) Divorce was in Canada. He was given custody at the same time, of the two children he took because I refused to put him in Venezuelan prison (since that's where he kidnapped them from and I knew the end result of that) and since he'd kept the kids hidden from me with no contact, for 4 years, the courts thought it best not to upset the kids further, however, no support to anyone...him or me. There were no assets anymore, he got rid of everything and by this point, he had removed me from all banks accounts etc. He was already in a relationship with another woman and had another child by her.
5) Because he's destroyed the evidence of the letters re: child tax credit, I have nothing. I didn't tell them someone might be stealing them because I had no clue this was the intention of my ex. He did, at some point, (and I don't know when) have me removed from the bank accounts.

Do these points change anything now?
And to all others, sorry it was so long, but it's complicated.
Thanks again Rhollan for your help, it is greatly appreciated.