us bank account

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

SergeP

us bank account

Post by SergeP »

Can anyone suggest a US bank that allows keeping open accounts for Canadian residents? I am talking about either saving or checking accounts as I will need them for future deposits from my 401 plan.
I have CapitalOne360 accounts but they require closing them if I move to Canada. I currently still live in US and do not have any problems keeping open accounts in Canada (with Scotia bank and with Bank of Montreal). But it seems different for US banks. Thank you.
Serge
rlb

Post by rlb »

If you are a US citizen who moves to Canada, I think it is unusual that they would require you to close the account. Try another bank. When we moved to Canada, HSBC gave us no trouble. Later, HSBC sold its western New York branches to a couple of other banks, and Key Bank has kept our account running smoothly. And yesterday one of our daughters, currently resident in Vienna (Austria) opened a US checking account with Bank of America in Buffalo NY, on a Christmas visit to this side of the pond.
rlb

Post by rlb »

And another possibility: TD Bank (USA) is owned by Toronto Dominion group in Canada, which also owns TD Canada Trust , one of Canada's largest banks. We use TD Canada Trust here in Canada. They have been advertizing heavily their "Crossborder Banking" facilities, although we have not (yet) taken advantage of them. If you have your banking here in Canada with TD Canada Trust, they will allow you to open a US bank account with a TD Bank (USA) branch, even without a visit there I believe, and freely move money between the Canadian and US accounts (you can see both at once in your web banking). There is no TD Bank branch in Hawaii (it is mostly east coast US), but perhaps you could either open account by mail, or wait until you move to Canada and work it from that side.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I understand not being able to open an account (especially without an SSN), but keeping one should be no problem. It is NOT illegal by any means, so it is just an ING issue.

I would simply not tell them, (since you have no physical connection with your account). You aren't breaking any rules whatsoever.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
SergeP

Post by SergeP »

Thank you for your replies. TD bank looks attractive with its cross-border services. I called them and it seems I can open an account on-line. No need to go to their branch.
If it is not illegal, I may also keep ING open and just provide a US mailing address for any future correspondence.
Serge
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yup. I suspsect this is just ING wanting to throw some business to ING Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D