home buyer plan recognized by IRS

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tdiddy

home buyer plan recognized by IRS

Post by tdiddy »

Hi

I have another quick question for you guys regarding dual US-Canadian citizens. My wife and I are looking to buy a house, I'm wondering if she can withdraw from her Canadian RRSP under the Home Buyer Plan ($25,000) and not pay tax on this income in the USA? Does the IRS recognize the Home Buyer plan like the CRA does, or do they have a similar plan?

Any tips?
Francis

Post by Francis »

No the IRS will treat the withdrawal and drawings from RRSP and tax you.

I don't know about anything equivalent.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Franci os not correct. An HBP withdrawl is NOT considered income for IRS purposes. However, it does trigger payment of US tax on previously accrued income, ie RRSP income that was previously sheltered using 8891.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
VaniB

HBP

Post by VaniB »

Does that mean that when the HBP was initially taken, the entire amount is taxable for IRS purposes even though it is not shown in the canadian return?
I've had a similar situation for a client too and would like to know what is the right treatment.

Kind regards
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Re-read what was written.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D