Setting up an LLC in the US when you have no statehood

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

caffemaven

Setting up an LLC in the US when you have no statehood

Post by caffemaven »

I am a US citizen working in Ontario with a work permit. I have no US address at all right now. I will be doing some consulting for a US firm that exists in many different states. They are demanding I set up an LLC. When I go online to try and set up the LLC they ask me which state. But I have no state. Any idea how to do this?
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

For leagl purposes a LLC has to be formed under State Law so you need to get an LLC from a state so you need a registered office address in a state, then when the LLC is formed you can put an address outside of US into Canada. Then you rely on the Treaty to pay tax as a corp on any income you earn on your CND return.

Most perople use Delaware due to its easy set up rules.
JG
caffemaven

Post by caffemaven »

But if I use Delaware, don't I need an agent and an address in Delaware? My dad lives in New York, so I can use his address, though it seems NY is more expensive.
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

Yes the state does require that you have an agent for official address correspondence, mostky for teh annual filing. NY will impose state tax as where Delaware does not so the agency fee is well worth it to go with Derlaware.
JG