401K beneficiary - Canadian spouse?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

stewak2

401K beneficiary - Canadian spouse?

Post by stewak2 »

USC resident in Canada commuting to work in USA.
Wife is Canadian citizen ( only ) and Canadian resident.
Currently is beneficiary of my employer 401(k).
Should I die, I imagine tax would be withheld before she could inherit the funds? (Form 1042, and get an ITN? )
How is the tax calculated?
Would it also be taxable in Canada?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

she would inherit the 401(K) tax free, and would then have the choice to keep it and take it as a pension or lump sum.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
stewak2

Post by stewak2 »

Taxation would occur at withdrawl, then - flat 30% if lump sum, ? if pension?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your other (better) choice is to have the 401(k) go to your estate and pay the tax, which might be less. Then your spouse gets what's left free and clear.

The problem with inheriting the 401(k) itself as a Cdn resident, is that regardless of what the tax is in US (15% as a pension or 20% lumpsum), it is all taxable in Canada, which will be more than the US amaount, and comes with the US tax/reporting issues.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D