Late FBAR filing

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mehran

Late FBAR filing

Post by mehran »

Hi,

I moved to US in 2012 and after filing my taxes this year I forgot to file FBAR before June 30 deadline.
I am going to file it this week. How should I prepare the late filing explanation letter to avoid a penalty? How common is it to get penalized for late FBAR filing?

Thanks
Taxpoor

Post by Taxpoor »

Hmmm...they are pretty adamant that the paperwork has to be on there desk by June 30th....that is why most individuals (in the past) sent it FedEx so they had a record of the mailing.

Not sure how you would proceed on this one, my suggestion would be to call Detroit directly and explain your situation as to why your filing was not included by the deadline.

If you have a good enough reason they may ask you to include a reasonable cause letter ...if you don't have a good enough reason I suggest you find one.

You should also be aware that they no longer accept paper filings, so it will have to be submitted online.

I haven not heard of anyone being penalized for late filing of paperwork...however that is not to say it is not happening.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Before fretting about this, I would just file, plain and simple.

Worry and those phoney letters only if IRS calls you.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
hacanuck

Post by hacanuck »

Mehran, I m in a similar situation as yours and am working on filing FBAR. any other suggestions.
mtnman

Post by mtnman »

Seriously Nelsona ? Can you elaborate why you say this ?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So you've waited another 6 weeks to file? Seriously? Just file.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D