IRS error...schedule 8812 not processed

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Frankd1

IRS error...schedule 8812 not processed

Post by Frankd1 »

Just curious if anyone else has come across this scenario....

I submitted my wife's 2012 iRS return (USC in Canada as PR) via private delivery service (fed ex) to the appropriate address in Austin TX. Return was mailed June 17 and confirmed received in TX June 18th. An extension was applied for to October 15, 2013.

I have been checking the "wheres my refund" site for the $2000.00 additional child tax credit but no information is provided. Its been over a month since it was received.

Yesterday, I finally called the office for international services in Philadelphia and the agent I spoke to looked into the file. She said it was processed and we went through the 1040 line by line. She said it looks like the IRS made an error or deviation and did not input or process the schedule 8812, which would explain why there is no info on the refund when there should clearly be a refund. A mistake on their part.

She advised me to resubmit a copy of the entire return. She said to submit a cover letter explaining why and to write "copy" across the top of the return. This would be proof that the original return was submitted as complete. She also made a number of notes on the file so that the agent who receives the copy return would have all of the details.
I am to send the copy to the Philadelphia office vs Austin.

I know I submitted schedule 8812 the first time - I went through the return several times before sealing the envelope. The agent said it looks like their mistake because if I did not submit 8812 then the file would be flagged. i.e. asking for a refund with no supporting documentation. The schedule 8812 could have been dropped and lost when the staple was removed from the package? Who knows, but kind of strange....anyone else come across this?
Taxpoor

Post by Taxpoor »

I did have a similar issue when I filed my back returns a couple of years ago.

After some time not receiving the Obama stim check for 300 dollars...i called the IRS and to my surprise that check had been sent out (and returned) 3 times!

When i questioned her on the address, and it was obvious they had the address all screwed up.

All 6 of my 1040 had the correct (typed) address and they had input'ed the information incorrectly!

You would think that a refund check that was returned 3 times due to an incorrect address would have flagged something(?)
Frankd1

Post by Frankd1 »

I know I posted this a number of months ago but i did receive some info from the IRS...
After I resubmitted a copy of my wife's return to Philadelphia as instructed by the IRS agent I spoke to, my wife called them 5 weeks later (1st week of September) for information and they told her that everything looked fine on her file but they were extremely back logged, and her refund ($2000) would eventually be sent out - they told her 3 or 4 months from that second phone call. So, this means towards the end of November....And, they would pay interest on it (ya right!).

Since then the government shut down and reopened, so who knows how long the delay will be. She will be calling the International line in Philly again in November to follow up.

So, if any one else is in the same situation I'm guessing the same info applies to you.

It's strange because she received her refund the previous year (for the 2011 return) in 4 weeks - mailed to Canada!
Frankd1

Post by Frankd1 »

Update:
My wife called the international office in Philadelphia tonight for a status update on her $2000 refund from the additional child tax credit - from the 2012 tax year (filed in June 2013).
After explaining everything to the agent, and once the IRS agent finally understood what it was that was being asked, my wife was told that the return was assigned to an agent in October (2013) but for whatever reason that particular agent didn't follow through with the processing. It was reassigned but there is no information as to who, so it is in effect in limbo.
This was for the 2012 return that was originally filed in June 2013 to the appropriate private delivery service address in Austin Texas....

The IRS agent on the phone kept on saying that they are really backed up.... extremely backed up...... and now that the 2013 tax year filing is just around the corner, they are going to be even more backed up...

This is somewhat frustrating...Anybody else out there still waiting on their refund from the 2012 tax year??

We have been calling the international line in Philadelphia, is there perhaps another number that we should be calling?
Frankd1

Post by Frankd1 »

Well, the $2000 refund cheque finally showed up in the mailbox yesterday...with $50 in interest added on!!
CdnAmerican

Post by CdnAmerican »

Thanks for the update. The wheels turn slowly but surely. It's a nice touch to get the interest added on too :)
Not a professional opinion.