what return to file?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

SergeP

what return to file?

Post by SergeP »

I am a US resident and file 1040. I also have a rental house in Canada so I file my tax return under Section 216 to CRA. Let's say I move to Canada and start living in that house becoming a Canada resident from May 1. How should I file my Canada taxes for this year? Should I file under Section 216 as non-resident for a part of the year and do another return as a resident from May 1? Or I file for the whole year as a resident and report my rental income, then I have to also report all my world income for the whole year paying canadian taxes on it? For US it is clear: I will file 1040 as my spouse is US citizen. Thank you.
Serge
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You file 216 for the part of the year you are non-resident, and file the return for your province for the remainder of the year, reporting world in come from that date forward.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
SergeP

Post by SergeP »

Thank you for a quick answer. I just have not realized that it is possible to file two returns for the same year.
Serge