Other 1040/NR obstacles

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Taxpoor

Other 1040/NR obstacles

Post by Taxpoor »

My previous post regarding the Schedule B has been rectified. I received a reply from the Firm and they do agree (finally) that I am correct that it has to be included.

Next....

my draft copy of 1040/1040NR has the tax dates(on both forms) of Jan01 to Dec 31 2012.

I was under the impression that (following my relinquishment on December 12th 2012), the 1040 would have to reflect a tax date of Jan 01 2012 to December 12 2012, and the 1040NR would reflect the remaining days of the year (?)

Can anyone clarify this?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You write DUAL status statement" accross the top of the 1040.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Taxpoor

Post by Taxpoor »

Thanks Nelsona,

Yes..they actually did write 'dual status return' at the top of both forms, so basically what you are saying is that the tax dates can run the entire year on both forms...or be tabulated as such?

One other question that was responded to this morning by the Accountant in question is the blank feilds on the 1040NR. I have been told that since I am paper filing this return, there is no need to place a "0" in the feilds.

Does this correspond with your thinking?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Really? C'mon.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Taxpoor

Post by Taxpoor »

Nelsona

Not sure how to interpret your response, can you be more specific?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Re-read your question and my answer, and re-evaluate if it is worth wasting any more time on, please.
graubart

Post by graubart »

In my limited experience, the IRS doesn't distinguish between a blank entry and zero.

But if you haven't filled yet, there's no reason not to enter a zero if you want.
Taxpoor

Post by Taxpoor »

Thanks for the reply graubart...its nice to have clarity on some of these finer points.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Carity?! your cpa says don't put 0's, and graubert say put 'em. So, I'll say put 'NIL' on each blank line,

You must be the person everyone complains about at starbucks taking forever to order their coffee!
Taxpoor

Post by Taxpoor »

I don't think graubert said to "put'em" but rather that the IRS doesn't distinguish between a blank entry and zero. In other words they don't really care either way.

Not a big starbucks fan...
worryfreeinvestor

Post by worryfreeinvestor »

Can one just rigwrite "ZILCH"? (kidding.)