CESG grants taxable by IRS?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dave23100

CESG grants taxable by IRS?

Post by dave23100 »

Are the CESG grants that called income by the IRS, or not? If yes, it would be somewhat useless to have a RESP for my kids

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

They are not taxable in US, until the child takes the income, like in Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Sorry, checked with my sources, (BDO) and the grant IS indeed taxable.

http://www.bdo.ca/en/Library/Services/T ... Canada.pdf
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
dave23100

Post by dave23100 »

Thanks for checking-- do you think the BDO checked that out with the IRS, or is that just their opinion?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

BDO doesn't just spew out off the cuff information under its masthead.
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

I've been reading all the RESP threads but I'm still a bit confused by something.

From what I've read so far, because RESPs are grantor trusts, if U.S. citizen parent was a subscriber, they would have to report the CESG/CLB and all dividends/interest for the year to the IRS.

However, it also appears as though a beneficiary who is also a U.S. citizen would also have to file for the annual amounts they withdraw once they attend school? Hasn't all the income already been taxed in the U.S. parent's hands years ago?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes... and so? Capital gains tax is tax on money that was already taxed.

No one says that money can only be taxed once.
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

You're absolutely right, now that I think of it. There's a perverse logic to RESP double taxation considering the phenomenon of estate taxes.

You have a real gift for making the confusing suddenly obvious :) I enjoy your posts.