Turbotax and 8891

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

eortlund

Turbotax and 8891

Post by eortlund »

Just starting US taxes with Turbotax. Searched the forms list for 8891 and got this message:

"TurboTax does not include this form, and it does not need to be filed with your income tax return.

Go to www.irs.gov to get the form. Fill it out and then mail it to the address specified in the form instructions."

? Turbotax used to have it, and it does need to be filed with my return. Not a big deal to print it out and write it by hand but am I missing something? Perhaps I can access it some other way on Turbotax?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I moved to taxact this year and had no problem.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

Any other advantages of Taxact?
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

I see its' a lot cheaper. I guess I'll try it and see how it goes!
Frankd1

Post by Frankd1 »

I'm trying TaxAct for the first time and I used the download version - it cost $12.95 for the deluxe version.
It seems good so far!
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

I was finding it a bit confusing, especially because I am used to Turbotax remembering all my info (like foreign tax credit carryovers). I couldn't figure out how to enter that info from previous years. I'm sure I could get used to it but may just continue with Turbotax and get it done quicker. Not a big deal to print out 8891, but strange that it's no longer included.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I'm guessing that it was because 8891 was revved in december (?)
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

Probably, although the message I got said it's not necessary to file with my return, which isn't right.
MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

I filed this year using TaxACT - it was the first year I used it, and I was able to file online with forms 8891 and 8621. I live in Canada and have an NRA spouse - it even gives you a box to check saying your NRA spouse doesn't need an ITIN or SSN.
InSearchOf...

Post by InSearchOf... »

I used TurboTax Deluxe and the form was there. It wasn't finalized until Jan 3/13 so you may need to do and update to TurboTax to see it.
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

I use Turbotax Deluxe. Do you remember where you found it? I searched the forms list, where it's always been before.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Is one of you using the online version as opposed to the download/disk version?
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

I use the online version.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Roght. and Insearch uses the software. Thus the difference.
Frankd1

Post by Frankd1 »

MGeorge, you mentioned using TaxAct. Did you use different software previously or none at all?

I'm curious as to how people who have switched to taxact from other software or no software, have imported previous years' returns. This was an issue that eortlund mentioned.

I think at the start of the taxact program it asked about importing PDF copies of previous returns but I'm pretty sure that the PDF had to be from specific sites like turbotax or H&R block....It would be nice to import the 2011 return to track carryover's etc...