TN Visa & Canadian Student

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tkuhk87

TN Visa & Canadian Student

Post by tkuhk87 »

Quick question - I seem to always be getting myself into these confusing situations.

Currently in USA on TN Visa - working as RN. Possibly going back to school in the fall for a graduate program. The program is online (and it is a Canadian university) so I will remain in USA while I complete it and work as an RN.

When it comes to taxes:

1) How do I claim (if I can) tuition and expenses on my US tax return? In Canada the T2202A is the form used, but I don't think that form is good to use in the USA?

2) If I am eligible for provincial support (ie/ student loans) how do I go about reporting income to the province if I never filed a tax return for the year prior (due to the fact that I was in the USA for all of 2012, and filed a departure return for 2011).

Thanks!

T
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your school will tell you if they are eligible school under US program, and should issue you the correct form.

You won't be eligible for provincial aid, you don't reside in canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
z_shan

Post by z_shan »

What do I need to check with my school for?

I just finished at graduated program in Canada and will be moving to the US for work.

I have about $80K in tuition credits and want to file as a non-resident for tax purposes once I move to the US. Is there anyway for me to use this tutition on my US income tax?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Because they have to issue the documents for their US taxpaying students. And only they will know if they have registered with the IRS and FAFSA to make their tuition eligible for deduction.

Otherwise, no you will not be able to use them, and certainly not for years that you were not required to file a US tax return.

So, check with the school, and let us know what you find out.

and if you are not tkuhk87, don't hi-jack other people's threads.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
z_shan

Post by z_shan »

Thanks for your help nelsona.

Sorry I will start another thread.