Canadian employed by US company, working from Canada?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Cranberry

Canadian employed by US company, working from Canada?

Post by Cranberry »

I'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times already, but Internet searches have been getting me lots of conflicting information, so I thought I'd ask the professionals!

I am a Canadian citizen, living in Canada. A US company wants to hire me as an employee. I would not set foot in the states; all of my work would be done from my home in Canada. Can this be done? What are the differences between hiring me on as an actual employee or me acting as an independent contractor? The company does not have a Canadian branch or anything like that.
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

Your income is considered CND sourced since you are earning it from Canada, best scenario and only viable one is to be a subcontractor not an employee.
JG
NewCanadian

Post by NewCanadian »

I worked for US employer for many years from Toronto before moving to US with another job.

I worked from home, was paid in US dollars and did not need to visit US for any work related activity.

No visa, No SSN, No ITIN. I was issued certificate of income with a reference to my Canadian SIN number. Filed returns in Canada. No issues ever.
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

It is looking like the easiest/most viable option is to be an independent contractor, yeah. If it makes any difference, the potential employer is a small corporation and they want to have only three Canadians working for them, at least for now. All work would be done online, with us being responsible for our own office expenses.
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

Sorry to double post/resurrect this, but I'm having trouble finding this info:

It seems like I've got things worked out on the Canadian end as far as filing my taxes would go, but the company that wants to use my services needs to know if there are any forms they have to make me fill out, or if they have to report anything to the IRS on their end. Basically, I am having a really hard time finding out what an American company has to do to "hire" me.

I see some people mentioning a W-8 and some saying it's unnecessary because I'd be essentially a freelancer.

Is is as simple as me sending the company a monthly invoice for my services and them paying me the full amount (not withholding any taxes because it's Canadian income), and no forms needing to be filled out at all?