S S in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Post Reply
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:35 pm

S S in Canada

Post by rnobson » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:01 pm

If I leave USA for Retirement in Canada and hand back my Green Card can I still receive my S S in Canada and is it still subject to US taxes?

Phil Hogan, CA
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:11 pm
Location: Victoria BC

Post by Phil Hogan, CA » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:08 pm

If you're eligible for SS you should be able to apply for and receive social security payment while being a resident of Canada.

SS is only taxable in your country of residence, therefore it shouldn't be taxable in the US.
Phil Hogan, CA, CPA (Colorado)
Canadian and US Income Tax
Victoria BC

Posts: 16143
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Post by nelsona » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:31 pm

... and will only be taxable at the 85% inclusion rate in canada, ie. 15% of it will be tax-free.
Nelsona Non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D

Post Reply