Audit after becoming a non-resident?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tax1000

Audit after becoming a non-resident?

Post by tax1000 »

I will be declaring my self a non-resident in Canada soon since I've moved to the US, I'll be moving south of US soon. Can CRA still audit me as a non-resident for my previous years as a non-resident? in that case I would need to travel to Canada again to take care of the audit?

Regards!
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

CRA can audit ant tax return under normal auditing procedures for the past 3 years even if you are a non resident the audit will still proceed. Do you need to travel back to Canada not necessarily unless you need to meet face to face with the auditor audits are usually hab=ndles by phone and courrier it depends on the scope and nature of the audit but normally all supporting documents can be courriered to teh auditor who will courrier tehm back to you on completion of the file.
JG
Ottawa123

Post by Ottawa123 »

JCGA is correct. I had a call from a CRA auditor a year after i moved to the US. She had a few question regarding my tax return i answered her all the questions, 4 months later i called CRA to find out that i wasn't under any audit.