US Citizen Moved back from Canada after 24 years

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:05 pm

US Citizen Moved back from Canada after 24 years

Post by RedAri » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:10 pm

I moved to Canada when I was 12 & have a Canadian citizenship too. I married, had two children & worked there. This year, I am legally separated and have moved and started work in Michigan now. In Canada, I was supporting my ex-husband & two children, filed my Canadian taxes.

I am reading I should have been filing USA taxes too. What do I have to do now & how much will it cost?

Phil Hogan, CA
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:11 pm
Location: Victoria BC

Post by Phil Hogan, CA » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi RedAri

I'm assuming you're a US citizen. If in fact that is the case, then yes, you should have been filing US tax returns while you lived in Canada.

The IRS has rolled out a great new program for those that qualify: ... -taxpayers

Phil Hogan, CA, CPA (Colorado)
Canadian and US Income Tax
Victoria BC

Post Reply