Recommendation for broker that is licensed in Ontario and US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

lvtscds

Recommendation for broker that is licensed in Ontario and US

Post by lvtscds »

Thank you for this forum, it has been a great source of advice.

I am a dual US/CDN citizen currently living in Canada. I have lived and worked on both sides of the border and have always kept on top of the Tax filing requirements.

During my last employment stint in the US, I opened 529 and UTMA accounts for my 4 children with Fidelity. When I moved back to Canada, I left them in the US. As has been mentioned in this forum before, Fidelity is no longer able to manage these accounts, freezing trading and limiting them to liquidation only. I don't want to liquidate them until the Children need them, and also since the kids are dual avoid all the additional FBAR and/or 3520 paperwork once the money is resident in Canada.

What I am looking for is a broker who can manage this type of asset in the US for a Canadian (Ontario) resident.

Any suggestions?
Mark T Serbinski CA CPA
Site Admin

Post by Mark T Serbinski CA CPA »

You can try:

Darrell Thompson

Darrell.Thompson@macquarie.com
Mark