US RESIDENT TAX ON RRIF WITHDRAWALS

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

artistic95

US RESIDENT TAX ON RRIF WITHDRAWALS

Post by artistic95 »

[HI from Florida, I am a US resident and dual citizen and must convert my RRSPs to RRIFs this year (age 71) I understand the withholding rate will be 15% if withdrawals done on a systematic basis Anyone have any experience with this??

Also what forms must be filed to facilitate transfer and lower tax rates with US and/or Canada?
[/list]
Thanks, Artistic95
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

RRIF withdrawls (as long as they are less than the maximum allowed per year) are flat taxed 15% by canada.

You ALSO need to report the gross and taxable amount on your 1040, using form 8891.

The taxable portion is based on the "cost" of your RRIF, which would, if this was an RRSP, the book value at the time you became taxable in US (so you will need this figure). And you need to make sure that you have been reporting the RRSP in the past on form 8891 and on FBAR.

You can then use the foreign tax credit mechanism to reduuce the IRS tax you owe on the RRIF payment.

In casnada, assuming your RRIF is 90% of your world income, you may be able to reduce the tax to an ammount less than 15%, using a 217 election.

You'd need to know what your yearly world and RRIF income are.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D