Late and un-filed 8891's

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rasman

Late and un-filed 8891's

Post by rasman »

A good friend is a U.S. citizen living in Canada with two RRSP's that have under $100.0 in them. She files her U.S. taxes. Her tax advisor recommended to become compliant that she not backfile her 8891's but start reporting in 2011 tax year because she would not owe tax in any year (going back six years) and IRS wouldn't bother with such a small amount. She claims she filed FBAR's but forgot those accounts. Any advice I can pass on...?

Thanks all and GREAT forum BTW!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

She should file 8891 for each account for the past 6 years, and ammend her FBARs as well.

There will be no penalty or fines.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

She can do these herself. The accountant is merely saying that it would not be worth paying him for her to do this, but she should be compliant.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tsanaha

Post by tsanaha »

Nelsona is absolutely right.

Just do the amending would save her time/money, and IRS paper work as well.
rasman

Post by rasman »

[quote="nelsona"]She can do these herself. The accountant is merely saying that it would not be worth paying him for her to do this, but she should be compliant.[/quote]

The accountant actually told her not to worry about backfiling because the amounts were so little.
rasman

Post by rasman »

Would she need to send a letter of explanation with her amended FBARs explaining why the accounts weren't reported?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I know what the acct said, which was the fine and penalty that she wuld pay (becasue the account was so little) was not worth paying him to do the amendments.

Of course you would send explanation. and you would send 1040-X for each 8891.
CdnAmerican

Post by CdnAmerican »

I had a personal experience similar to this one. I backfiled several years of 8891's and attached the corresponding 1040-X for each year. I had no problems with the submission - no audits or penalties. My explanation was basically that I had not heard of these forms previously, and presumably that was sufficient.

I sent these in during the amnesty period last year, but I think that officially amnesty is still going on under a different IRS program (nelsona may know more than I do).

The forms are really not too hard to complete, if you've got the records & can compute the change in value at the end of each year. Good luck to your friend!
Not a professional opinion.
rasman

Post by rasman »

[quote="CdnAmerican"]I had a personal experience similar to this one. I backfiled several years of 8891's and attached the corresponding 1040-X for each year. I had no problems with the submission - no audits or penalties. My explanation was basically that I had not heard of these forms previously, and presumably that was sufficient.

I sent these in during the amnesty period last year, but I think that officially amnesty is still going on under a different IRS program (nelsona may know more than I do).

The forms are really not too hard to complete, if you've got the records & can compute the change in value at the end of each year. Good luck to your friend![/quote]

Thanks all. I will advise her to backfile.