Fees for preparing US tax return?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tukee

Fees for preparing US tax return?

Post by tukee »

Hi folks,

Anyone willing to share how much they pay in fees to have their (uncomplicated) US tax prepared by a Canadian tax firm?

Thanks.
MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

Hello - I paid $500 per tax year - and this was to do 6 years of back-filing (ie. $3k). These were not complicated returns, and it included the tax return, and the FBAR filings. I thought this was too much at first, then found out that the "going rate" was $750 per return. It would be good to get some other replies as well.
As far as complexity goes, I had 8 FBAR reportable accounts, working income, investment income, TFSA (however, he didn't file 3520), and some Quebec parental benefits.

I hope this helps.
nanic

Post by nanic »

I pay $35 per year by buying Turbotax and doing them myself. Turbotax is easy and almost fool proof. I am certain there are other software out there that are just as good. If your tax are simple, why not do them yourself with a good software.
MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

Hi Again - Nanic makes a good point. I've been using software ever since getting hit with that big bill. I recently discovered "TaxACT" software. It is less expensive ($13), but not as user friendly as Turbotax. But, if you have a non-resident alien spouse, TaxACT lets you efile without having an ITIN for your NRA spouse. Turbotax doesn't let you efile with nothing in the space for a spouse's ITIN or SSN.
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

500 per year for an uncomplicted return is not too excessive given you also had FBAR filings too. I have done some for more and some for less it all depends. A very simple one could run about $ 250 yr if done by a tax pro due to the FBAR filing requirement since we need to discuss the disclosure requirements with the client at length before filing so cheaper than this its hard to imagine if you chooose to use an expert.
JG