IRS announced changes to ITIN application process

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

newbieRSX

IRS announced changes to ITIN application process

Post by newbieRSX »

Hi All,

Based on the recent changes from IRS :

[url]http://www.kpmg.com/US/en/IssuesAndInsi ... 1-june.pdf[/url]

This PDF also says :

Exceptions from these requirements apply to:
• Military spouses and dependents who do not hold a SSN;
• Nonresident aliens applying for ITINs solely for the purposes of claiming the benefits of an income tax treaty, such as reduced withholding on certain categories of U.S. source income.

The latter would apply to me as I am preparing a W-7 form for ITIN, which will be used in a W-8BEN form.

I just want to make sure the accountant firm I'm visiting is still capable of certifying my passport for this purpose, and that I don't end up a rejected application because I misinterpreted this article.

Thank you very much for your input.
Mark T Serbinski CA CPA
Site Admin

Post by Mark T Serbinski CA CPA »

The "Certifying Acceptance Agent" program has effectively been suspended, and any W7 application must now include identification data certified by the issuer. In the case of Canadians, this means that you need to visit passport Canada to have them issue a certified copy of your passport for inclusion with your application.
Mark