Us citizen became Canadian in 1977

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

golfnut

Us citizen became Canadian in 1977

Post by golfnut »

Is an indiviidual born in the US, who emigrated to Canada in 1975 and became a Canadian citizen in 1777, still considered a US citizen and subject to US taxes? No formal renunciation was made to the US since none was known to be required at the time. The individual has no income/property/income in the US and has not had any since 1977. What is the best approach to ensure they will be allowed into US as visitor if need arises?
MGeorge

Post by MGeorge »

Hi - according to the rules, this individual is considered a US citizen. Has this person kept a current US passport, and does he/she have a social security number?

Another thing to consider - if on the Canadian passport it shows a US place of birth - they will technically assume US citizenship. Unless this individual can produce a "certificate of loss of nationality".

I was in a very similar situation - very weak ties to the US, and I decide to back file taxes and get current. I owed $0 on every return. I hope this helps.
primo

Post by primo »

I'm in the same situation. If you have done nothing to act like a US citizen since becoming Canadian, you can relinquish at a US consulate. They will issue a certificate of loss of nationality backdated to the date you became Canadian. I have already relinquished and am waiting for my certificate. They don't ask about your tax situation when you do it. There is a lot of information about this on the site Isaac Brock Society. There are a lot of people there that have gone through this or trying to figure out the best approach for their situation.