Question - Canadian residents & form TD F90-22.1

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tobeagoodman

Question - Canadian residents & form TD F90-22.1

Post by tobeagoodman »

One of my friends is a commuter between Canada and US, working in US and living in Canada with his Canadian wife. He has filed his US return by married filing jointly for many years, excluding his wife income from Canada using form 2555 and utilizing tax treaty benifit (8833 & 8891) . When knowing that I am preparing to back-file TD F90-22.1 for previous few years, he asked if he needs to file TD F90-22.1?

Appreciate for advice.
nanic

Post by nanic »

Does he have any bank accounts or any financial accounts in Canada, including joint accounts. If yes, then he needs to file the form
nanic

Post by nanic »

One important question, is he a US citizen?
tobeagoodman

Post by tobeagoodman »

[quote="nanic"]Does he have any bank accounts or any financial accounts in Canada, including joint accounts. If yes, then he needs to file the form[/quote]

nanic, thanks for your answer!

Of course, whole his family and his house is in Canada. So he mus file the TD form. How many years he has to back-file the fomr?
tobeagoodman

Post by tobeagoodman »

[quote="nanic"]One important question, is he a US citizen?[/quote]

Hi, nanic,

His and his wife are Canadian citizen.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Whether or not he is a US citizen is in fact NOT important. By filing a 1040 joint, he and spouse are bound by FBAR and must comply.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tobeagoodman

Post by tobeagoodman »

nelsona, appreciate very much for your advice!

As per your answer, as long as one files 1040 joint, he is a US person and he must be compliant with FBAR regardless his citizenship and his residency. I will pass this to him so that he can back-file the TD forms.

I believe, many professional tax preparers are not aware of this.
nanic

Post by nanic »

Is announcement 2010-16 still valid. If so this may help you decide how far back to file.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/a-10-16.pdf
tobeagoodman

Post by tobeagoodman »

[quote="nanic"]Is announcement 2010-16 still valid. If so this may help you decide how far back to file.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/a-10-16.pdf[/quote]

Hi, nanic, thanks for your additional info!

As per the announcement, my friend does not need to file the TD form, as he is neither a US citizen and nor a US resident.

Not sure if the announcement is still valid. nelsona, could you please comment on this? many thanks!
Dalthien

Post by Dalthien »

If your friend has been choosing to file the full 1040 instead of 1040NR, then he/she has made the choice to treat him/herself as a US Citizen for filing purposes, and they have to file all accompanying paperwork that goes along with that. Announcement 2010-16 would be irrelevant in that case.
tobeagoodman

Post by tobeagoodman »

[quote="Dalthien"]If your friend has been choosing to file the full 1040 instead of 1040NR, then he/she has made the choice to treat him/herself as a US Citizen for filing purposes, and they have to file all accompanying paperwork that goes along with that. Announcement 2010-16 would be irrelevant in that case.[/quote]

Hi, Dalthien, thank you for your answer to my question. I would appreciate if you could direct me to an official doc.
best!
Dalthien

Post by Dalthien »

The 1040 is for US citizens or residents. Non-residents are supposed to file the 1040NR. The exception to that is that non-residents who are married to a US citizen can file a full 1040 joint return.

However, the US-Canada Tax Treaty allows Canadians to file a full 1040 if they choose instead of the 1040NR, but they are then subjected to all the same reporting requirements as if they were a US citizen or resident.

But I'll leave it to you to go digging through the actual treaty.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I concur.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tobeagoodman

Post by tobeagoodman »

Dalthien, nelsona,

thank you very much for your help/info!

your answers are very informative.