Help - IRS letter indicating penalty for late 3520

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

phoenixy

Post by phoenixy »

regrettingthis, there is no requirement to submit your 3520 with your 1040.

It's my understanding that the IRS has mostly been sitting on forms 3520 and not processing them since October, while they try to fix the problems with their totally broken processing. So they may not have got around to processing your form. You could always call the Philadelphia office and ask: the number is 267-941-1000 and pick the phone tree option for a business filer.
regrettingthis

Post by regrettingthis »

I've had two different international tax lawyers tell me that the 3520 needed to be submitted with the 1040. I'm not saying they are absolutely right, but I would be weary about not submitting it. Especially if you're already filling one out anyway, since it's easy enough to just make another copy and submit.

While we're on the topic, and sorry if we're straying too much (I can take it elsewhere if need be), but are any of you filling the form stating why you are not filing the 1040 electronically? Or perhaps you are filing the 1040 electronically? But if you're not, what box did you check for your reason? None of them seem to apply specifically.
riya

Post by riya »

I really like your way of expressing the opinion and sharing the information.