Query about T1-statement of world income form.

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

hotcheese

Query about T1-statement of world income form.

Post by hotcheese »

Hello

I filed a non-resident tax return for 2011 (as I'm resident in the US and wasn't physically present in Canada for the number of days to be considered a resident).

As a non-resident I didn't declare world income. However as I was printing out the forms (I used Turbo Tax to prepare them) I noticed that at the top of the T1 Statement of World Income form it says: "Complete these schedule if you were a non-resident of Canada or a deemed non-resident of Canada for all of 2011".

This doesn't apply to me, as I wasn't a non-resident for ALL of 2011. But I am curious why this form must only be filled in if one was a non-resident for ALL of 2011?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You have filed incorrectly.

If you left canada in 2011 (and it has absolutely nothing to do with days in canada), then you file a regular return for your last province of residence, with a departure date.

You are an emigrant, therefore you need to folw the emigrant guide.
2012, you will be non-resident, and will likely not have to file at all.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
hotcheese

Post by hotcheese »

The person in this link http://www.canuckabroad.com/forums/tryi ... tml#p47896

says: "If you actually legally moved to US, you are a Cdn non-resident by treaty .. Departure tax triggers when you become non-resident by treaty, which you were the day you moved to US."

Implying to me that moving to the US means being a Cdn non-resident by treaty.
If they don't mean this then what do they mean? Are you saying they are wrong?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I didn't say you weren't non-resident, I said you BECAME non-resident, in 2011. That means you departed, which means you file a regular return with a departure date. That will mean that you are then non-resdient, and trigger departure tax, based on the date you write on your return.

The non-resident return, as you found out for yourself, is only for those that have been non-resident for the entire year, ie, were already non-resident, but had ceetain Cdn income to report in a future year after they left.

Did you read the emigrants guide yet?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
JamesDHutt

Re: Query about T1-statement of world income form.

Post by JamesDHutt »

yes, I have come to know about the main goal of the post. I used to live in Melbourne When I was in my school. Now I Have started my own business So now I moved to another place. Because my father bought another home here. Now here is my business of http://www.bestessays-uk.org/. Which is essay writing service We had a college in just beside our home. So because of that, I have opened an essay writing service. Because I know college students have really needed this type of service.
bendskirl

Re: Query about T1-statement of world income form.

Post by bendskirl »

You can get an income tax package (guide, return, forms and schedules) online or by mail. Certain tax situations may require a specific return or form.