US resident - Canadian cash account - tax reporting

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Canadabound

US resident - Canadian cash account - tax reporting

Post by Canadabound »

Hi:

I am a US resident, with a (Canadian-addressed) cash account, that owns Canadian dollar exchange-traded funds. What are the ramifications of the Canadian generated (dividend slips and some are return of capital) tax slips for my US taxes? Can I be penalized by either CRA or the IRS? Am I losing US tax benefits by owning these Canadian dividend-paying (or return of capital generating) investments? I am getting the account moved to a US broker, but still was looking for an answer on this issue.
Jospher

Post by Jospher »

In June Boardwalk Empire Seasons 1-2 DVD Box Set fell to the bottom of the television barrel- partial nudity. By that Grey's Anatomy box set 1-7'm talking about the Whip Set, a block of lame car Game Of Thrones complete box set that not even Satan could condone. These Game Of Thrones complete Box Set 1 were not only aimed at a completely different demographic than every other G4 show but were worse than any of them. A similarity found in all Sons of Anarchy Seasons 1-4 Sets is that there's always a myriad of women in the picture who can't wait to get paid for what they're doing. one tree hill dvd had to watch in disappointment as I saw my favorite network slowly become MTV. Sons of Anarchy Season 1-4 dvd box set was Video Game Vixens, which was canceled in a heartbeat because even the morons running the channel knew Sons of Anarchy Season 4 box set had created a disaster. The Nurse Jackie dvd was pretty much a beauty pageant of 3D women that appeared in video games. Just Cougar Town dvd was enough to make me want to vomit. Hosted by House M.D dvd the really not-funny annoying guy from Damages dvd Love The 80's the show may have not been on for long, but the sheer fact that Project Runway dvd even existed was bad enough. And don't get me started on Barbed Wire Biscuit. To truly signify their insanity, Warehouse 13 dvd has gone after adult swim with a late-night block that sucks more ass than a toilet seat. Aside from Merlin dvd show that picks up on the TechTV vibe all the Modern Family dvd. Better with You dvd box set is the worst collection of cartoons I've ever seen. I'd even take Law and Order Special Victims Unit dvd show ever over this pile. Dead Like Me dvd has survived simply because anime works on Cartoon Network. And while Brothers and Sisters dvd may have the biggest anime titles on it, Supernatural dvd has some of the worst. To be fair The Best Of Soul Train dvd box set has sucked going back to the TechTV days. 30 Rock dvd's too bad that's the one G4 show not affected by change.
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

you answered your own question by doing the right thing and moving them to a US broker, you should have advised your CND broker taht you moved to the US in the first place.
JG
Canadabound

Post by Canadabound »

Thanks for you input, JGCA. But actually, transferring the assets solves my issues going forward. My current concern is my immediate situation (tax filing for this year). These Canadian investments should have been subject to non-resident witholding tax, whiich they have not been over the years, due to my using a Canadian address. My question is/was, "Does this cause me any problems with either the IRS or CRA?" I understand the PFIC issues, incidentally.