Foreign Universal Life Insurance

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

JY

Foreign Universal Life Insurance

Post by JY »

Hello,
I am a Canadian working in U.S. In preparing the 2011 tax return, I am very confused with following questions, and appreciate helps:

1) I have a Universal Life Insurance policy with case surrender value that was bought in Canada. Do i need to report it using Form 3520 or another form? The policy earned little investment interest, should this interest be included in 1040 Schedule B?

2) A thread of the forum mentioned Form 720 for the taxation of foreign life insurance premium, do i need to attach the Form 720 with 1040, and where should i put the tax in Form 1040?

3) I paid the insurance premium last year from the policy investment balance, is this a distribution from the policy?

4) I have a RESP but didn't contribute from 2008. Do i still need to report this RESP using Form 3520 every year and include the interest in 1040 Schedule B? Since the RESP invested in mutual fund, is the Form 8621 mandatory for 2011 and future tax return per section 1298(f) even without contribution to and income from the RESP?

Thanks,
qweryt

Post by qweryt »

4) Yes and yes.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

... and the RRSP holding mutual funds then also requires PFIC filing.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

i meant RESP.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Jospher

Post by Jospher »

And Glee dvds weren't the only show to plummet in quality. In Plain Sight dvds had always pieced in a little comedy into their reviews. But away from TechTV on G4, Lie To Me dvds was too much to bear. Gossip Girl dvds tried so damn hard to be funny that Bob's Burgers dvds weren't actually reviewing games anymore as much as they were mocking themselves. Usually The Glee Project dvds would only preview a game if The Big Bang Theory dvds was coming out months later. But on G4, previews became so abundant that Weeds Seasons dvds were literally previewing games that they'd review days later. The That 70s Show dvds didn't resemble the technology-based show Two and a Half Men dvds once was and was easy to avoid for most people. A couple months later Cold Case dvds became Attack of the Show, One Tree Hill 1-9 dvds was a better thought-out version of the ScreenSavers. However when Family Guy dvds, all the technology was completely void from the show and Human Target dvds was back to the old dribble. One Tree Hill dvds were several bright spots of the network that were shattered as well. Real Time presented by Terra Nova dvds was a Sunday block that would be based on a game franchise like Need For Speed or Metroid Prime. Then some of their shows like Hustle dvds, Cinematech, One Tree Hill 1-9 dvd box set would all have at least one appearance of that game in it. This was great since Lost dvds was a chance to see vintage episodes of G4 shows. That Chase dvds was taken away last year. And while Northern Exposure dvds were sub par from where they once were, One Tree Hill 1-9 dvd set was still a video game network. Or at least Sonny with a Chance dvds was. The change began when Modern Family dvds became the graffiti-ish one we see today. One Tree Hill Seasons 1-9 DVD Box Set symbolized that the network was making even more changes that would inevitably screw with my life. One change that Suits dvds was the in-show popup adds for other G4 programming. In the old days Breaking Bad dvds were practically subliminal and wouldn't actually affect my viewing of the show. Nowadays One Tree Hill Complete Seasons 1-9 DVD Box Set take up 1/3 of the screen and make a loud screech sound each time the add appears and disappears.
Filo

Post by Filo »

@JY: The form 8621 instructions I downloaded don't cover section 1298(f). Where did you find the instructions for 1298(f)?
JY

Post by JY »

Thanks for the help to all replies.

Filo, regarding the 8621 i downloaded Rev. Dec. 2011. I read the instruction again after seeing your question, and this time i think form 8621 may not be filed as MUST even in tax year 2011 if a PFIC fund meets the followings:

1) No recognized gain on a direct or indirect disposition
2) No excess direct or indirect distribution
3) You are not making an election (i.e. the PFIC will be treated as Section 1291 fund)

The instruction mentions section 1298(f) at beginning, however notice 2011-55 suspends the reporting requirement for tax years beginning after March 18, 2010 until the release of a new revision of 8621.

However, following the release of revised form 8621, you may need to submit it for all the taxable years that has been suspended since 2011 to the next tax return.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks,
g3kamdbs

Post by g3kamdbs »

Hello JY,
Regarding your foreign life insurance, I have done significant research in this area and this is what I found out.

1. You are require to file form 720 and pay 1% of the premium. Form 720 is due on every quarter of the year. It is being filed separately and there is no need to attach to form 1040.

2. If your insurance policy produces fixed-rate return, it will be treated as a PFIC and you need to report it on form 8621. The interest and dividend are considered distributions.

3. On Form 8621, I am not sure if you can use the Mark-to-Market method as insurance policy is not a publicly traded entity. I use the standard method of treating the policy as 1291 fund, and the way to calculate the excess tax and distribution is not fun at all. The calculation is ridiculously complex and time-consuming.

Hope this helps.
Filo

Post by Filo »

@JY:

For PFICs governed specifically by the new US Code section 1298(f), I agree with your understanding. So far as I can see, Canadian mutual funds are such PFICs as of the 2011 tax year. Nobody seems to have any information whatsoever on what the instructions for handling these 1298(f) PFICs will be. One hopes they will be merciful.
zunen

Re: Foreign Universal Life Insurance

Post by zunen »

Foreign Universal Life Insurance is not a good company. As I have seen many fraudulent cases of this company so do not take any insurance package https://assignmentmasters.org/accounting-homework.html/ here you will get better Canadian Insurance companies that will help you a lot.