TN Full Year in U。S.

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

minounou

TN Full Year in U。S.

Post by minounou »

Hi I found this forum extremely helpful and I am hoping I may get some professional opinions on my case.

I m a Canadian citizen, holding a CA passport, and moved to U.S. with my wife in 2010 August. My wife is a Chinese citizen and has never been to Canada. I lived in U.S. even since. At first I was not employed and was a U.S. F2 visa holder, my wife a F1 full time student. So I reported our worldwide income for the 2010 tax year as a resident. Then I found a job in U.S. in March 2011 and went back to the CA/US boarder to change my F2 visa to TN visa. But other than that I have never been back to Canada again. I don't own any type of property in Canada and have never got any income or interests from Canadian resources. I got a Pennsylvania driver's license in March 2011 and the mean time my CA license expired . My wife and I have lived in U.S. since Aug 2010 and never moved. I do have two bank accounts in Canada but neither of these have any money in the account. (but I never called them to ask them to change it to "non-resident" status)

Now my question is, since I don't have any Canadian income in 2011 and have never been there, should I be counted as a "non-resident"? What form should I turn in? NR-73? or Tax return? I assume that neither of these seems to apply but I also want to let the gov know I have left and is no longer a resident for tax purpose in CA regarding my keeping the resident tax status in 2010. Should I fill in any of these forms claiming nothing or just write a letter to let them know?

Many thanks in advance for your kind help!!!