Returned to Canada 2011, filing US taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

bg

Returned to Canada 2011, filing US taxes

Post by bg »

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen and I worked in US for almost 2.5 years and have been filing US and Canadian taxes. My wife and kids lived in Canada for all the time and I have been visiting them every month.

I have left US in March 2011 and had worked in US till then. My employer had sent me W2 and 1099R.

My questions -
1. Do I need to do anything to notify IRS that I moved back to Canada.
2. I have been filing US taxes married jointly showing my wife and kids as dependents as per my accountant's advise.
3. Since I moved back, do I need to file my US return with my Canadian address or do I have to have US address? or Does it matter?
4. Since I have been visiting my family every month, what was my status in US - resident or non resident? How does this has any affect on my Canadian tax returns.
5. I have been paying lot of taxes in Canada as my accountant told me that I have ties with Canada by keeping my house and family here. Is that true. Where do I get more information on taxes that I owe on my foreign income.
6. Is my tax refund from US considered as income in Canada?

Thanks
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

1) Just file your 1040

2) File as usual way MFJ ( but make sure you included your wifes income since that is the way you are suppose to do it)

3) Can use CND address

4) You probably are non resident since you are filing as resident of Canada but it make no difference you were filing a full 1040 under treaty anyhow, you could have filed as non resident of Canada but as I see it you did not you continued to file as resident of Canada and took a tax credit for teh US income you earned.

5) No under treaty you could have filed a departure return from Canada

6) No its not income but any refund received in Canada will not count as tax in US if you claim it as foreign tax credit since it was refunded back to you.
JG