Independent IT consultant with short-term US contracts

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

shopshopshopoholic

Independent IT consultant with short-term US contracts

Post by shopshopshopoholic »

Hi,

I am an independent IT consultant with my own incorporated company. I have always been working locally subcontracting to Canadian banks. I have just been offered an opportunity for a 6-month contract with a US company, where I will work in NY from Monday to Friday and fly back to Canada on the weekends. My incorporated co. will invoice the US company for the work done then I will still be paid by my own co. in Canada through dividends/salary. I have never worked on contracts outside of Canada before, so I have a few questions:

- Do I need a TN visa even if I will be travelling back home every weekend?
- Will I need to file US taxes even though I will still be paid through my own incorporated company?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you[/img]
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

You need a TN visa as long as its the same company you work for , multiple companies require multiple TN's.

If you will be in US over 183 days in any 12 month period, and/or have a permanent establishment in US you need to file 1120F.
JG