Moved to California in August

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

hertz

Moved to California in August

Post by hertz »

I moved to California from Canada in early August 2011. I know I have to file a 1040NR/540NR since I don't pass the substantial presence test but have a few more questions about the process for this year.

1) Since I'm filing a 1040NR does that mean I can't take the standard deduction?

2) Am I allowed to take a personal exemption on the 1040NR?

3) I've read that I can make a first-year choice to file as a resident for 2011 (http://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/ch ... 1000222172). Is it worth filing a tax extension to do this so I can get the standard deduction? Or am I misunderstanding what the first year choice actually is?

4) Any other tax tips I should know about to minimize the amount I pay in taxes for 2011?
hertz

Post by hertz »

Also, is there any software I can use to e-file in my situation? Or will I have to print out the forms and do it all myself?
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

THe quick answer is no standard deduction allowed under normal filing. However as a CND under treaty you can file a full yr 1040 and take all deductions, read the many many post on this forum about this.
JG