1040 NR, Bank Interest Income

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

agrisiva

1040 NR, Bank Interest Income

Post by agrisiva »

I am a Canadian resident and US non-resident. I have my entire US bank Interest exempted and reported on Line 22 of 1040 NR. I also record this income in item L of Schedule OI on page 5, but trying to figure out what “Tax Treaty Articleâ€￾ I should mention in the column (b). is it just “Article XIâ€￾?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

IRS regulations do not require non-residents to report US bank interest. it is not a treaty benefit, its for everyone.

So, you don;t report it anywehere on 1040NR.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
agrisiva

Post by agrisiva »

ahh, makes sense, thx nelsona
agrisiva

Post by agrisiva »

ok, i found this one......

"If the nonresident alien individual uses Form 1040NR to report his income, then such nontaxable interest income shall not be reported anywhere on Form 1040NR except in response to question L on page 5 of Form 1040NR."

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/int ... 29,00.html

what do you think?
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

As Nelsona sid do not report this at all on the 1040NR
JG