CANADIAN PR,, Working In US as H-1Visa

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rogerrabbit

CANADIAN PR,, Working In US as H-1Visa

Post by rogerrabbit »

1. My current status is a Canadian Permanent Resident since November 2007 and worked in Canada since 2007 to 2010. I started working in US under H-1 Visa on November 2010 and I worked for the full year 2011 in US. For the year 2010, I filed 1040NR and filed T4 in Canada as well because I have canadian income during the year 2010.

Question: Since I work for the full year 2011 in US and filed my 2011 1040, should I file Canadian T4 income tax too? Please advise.

2. I have called CRA and told CRA about my personal and worked status. CRA told me that I need to submit form NR73 so they could determine my residency status.

Question: Do I still need to submit NR73 and wait for CRA's response to know if I need to file my US income on Canadian T4 income tax? Please advise.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You need to amend your 2010 Cdn return to put a date of departure, and then you do not file in 2011.

You only send NR73 if formally requested. Don't bother calling CRA anymore.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

BTW you were filing T! in Canada not T4 there is a difference.
JG
rogerrabbit

Post by rogerrabbit »

1. Last day of filing Canadian tax return is April 30, 2012.

Question: How do I amend my 2010 Canadian tax return? Please advise.

Question: Will it be a long process to amend a 2010 Canadian Tax retrurn or how many days will it take to amend a Canadian Tax Retrun? Please advise.

2. I forgot to mention that my wife worked in Canada until April 2011 and my wife and daughter moved to the US last July 2011.

Question: I have filed my 2011 US tax return jointly with them being here since July of 2011. Should my wife file her 2010 Canadian Tax Return separately with 13 years old daughter as dependent?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Look aon CRA website for changing past returns. There is no deadline to fix this. Then you won't have a tax return in canad for 2011, so what deadline?

For 2011, since you filed jointly this meant you MUST report wife's Cdn income. Did you do this?

Why ask questions after the fact? the tax deadline is not as important as doing it right!
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D