RESP REPORTING - FORM 3520

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

osprey_ron

RESP REPORTING - FORM 3520

Post by osprey_ron »

As I emigrated from Canada in 2011, this will be my first US tax return. Am I required to report contributions to a RESP if I am only a contributor; not the owner or beneficiary?
Ron
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
osprey_ron

Post by osprey_ron »

Even if I hold no interests in the RESP; and neither the owner or the beneficiary are US persons?
Ron
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you make the contributions, aren't you the owner?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ND

Post by ND »

Where a NRA spouse is the only RESP party listed as the “subscriberâ€￾ and/or as any other title anywhere & that NRA spouse has made an election to be treated as a US resident (such as under Code Sec. 6013), shouldn't that NRA spouse and the US spouse be exempt from 3520 reporting on 3520? For example, regarding FBAR, for the Treasury Department's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) policy in determining whether an individual is a U.S. resident for FBAR purposes, the election under which a nonresident alien married to a U.S. citizen can be treated as a resident for tax purposes, is disregarded.
The 6013 elections appear to apply only for the purposes of chapters 1 and 24 of the Code; if that is correct, then information reporting under other chapters would not apply to someone who has made a 6013 (g) or (h) election.