Depositing U.S. dollar check drawn on CDN bank into U.S bank

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

shopgirl1

Post by shopgirl1 »

I tried this and here's what I learned - any check (USD, CAD, YEN, etc) that is drawn on a canadian bank and deposited in a US bank is treated as any other international check. The US bank accepting the check first has to make sure it's not forged, there's money laundering rules, they have to check the originating bank to make sure there's sufficient funds etc.

That's why it can take up to 90 days to clear. There is no obligation for the receiving US bank to do it any faster.

Amerinuk is probably known to his US bank and depending on the relationship and the balance he/she carries and other factors, can get the check cleared faster. As a first timer, I'm willing to bet it will take at least 2 and probably 4 weeks to clear.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yup. That is why one should simply have the money EFTed thru a forex broker.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D