FBAR and PAYPAL

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Mach7

FBAR and PAYPAL

Post by Mach7 »

Ok...i have PayPal account that is linked to my Canadian saving account . The saving account was was reported on my FBARs.

I need clarification if the actual Paypal account. Does this have to be listed as well on the FBAR.....?

I use it only for ebay purchase, and essentially it is a 'tool' or 'extension' of an already listed account (cdn savings).

If this Paypal has to be listed...then should I not be listing my credit card as well???

My credit card (one) is held at the same Canadian bank (RBC visa).
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The rule on accounts is if you ever have a positive balance (ie, it owes you), then you should list it.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
worryfreeinvestor

PayPal

Post by worryfreeinvestor »

This post is a little off topic, but if you have a PayPal account you may be able to advise. I've read elsewhere than an effective way to transfer C$ from Canada into US$ in the US is via PayPal. But I don't quite see it. Can I just set up a Canadian PayPal /c and a US PayPal a/c and transfer money? It looks to me like the US receiver has to be a merchant, which incurs monthly charges from PayPal. Any comment?
Amerinuck

Re: PayPal

Post by Amerinuck »

[quote="worryfreeinvestor"]This post is a little off topic, but if you have a PayPal account you may be able to advise. I've read elsewhere than an effective way to transfer C$ from Canada into US$ in the US is via PayPal. But I don't quite see it. Can I just set up a Canadian PayPal /c and a US PayPal a/c and transfer money? [b]It looks to me like the US receiver has to be a merchant, which incurs monthly charges from PayPal. Any comment?[/b][/quote]

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but, I live in Canada and have a C$ paypal account. I have sent money to people living in the US who I know are [i]not[/i] paypal merchants, so, I don't see why you could not do the same.
worryfreeinvestor

PayPal

Post by worryfreeinvestor »

Thaks, Amerinuck, I was a little bass ackwards because I was looking at PayPal US. I went to PyaPal Canada and it looks like if I have an account at PayPal Canada I can txr money to friends and family in the US but it incurs a fee (on top of the forex trade) of about 1.02% that has no cap. I.e. a $1,000 transfer costs $10.18 and a$10,000 transfer costs $101.72. So, it doesn't look like it makes more sense than using banks directly. Comments?
Amerinuck

Post by Amerinuck »

My transactions are much smaller than that, but, the % looks about right.

If I were sending amounts as large as you posted, I would probably look into a site that offered a flat fee vs. a % and see if I could get a better deal (whether or not that exists, I don't know, but, I'm tight with my money so I would check lol). But, for the small amount of money my usual transactions cost, I am quite happy with them.