How to get an EIN for a trust when you live in Canada - easy

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

CdnAmerican

How to get an EIN for a trust when you live in Canada - easy

Post by CdnAmerican »

Hi all - I have gotten a lot of help from this board and thought I would send in a couple of how-to posts that might help others. I don't have a question here - this is just a note to help out (I'm open to feedback and extra information - and of course, any corrections!). This post relates to how to apply for an EIN.

I learned that you need to get an EIN if you have a foreign trust (noting that an RESP or TFSA count as a foreign trust). You need this EIN when submitting a 3520 and 3520-A.

To get this EIN, it's actually very easy. 1) You complete Form SS-4, a 1-page IRS form. This took about 15 minutes to complete, and it's a fillable form. 2) You fax this form to 267-941-1329 (no cover sheet is required). 3) You call the office that you sent the fax to at 267-941-1099. This office is open until 11PM Eastern time on weekdays; I got almost immediate service when calling about 8 PM Eastern. The agent will pick up the fax you sent, confirm information, and then give you an EIN after a 3-4 minute wait. Easy as pie.

If anyone has anything to add or other experiences with this, please let me know. I was impressed with how easy this was, as well as the ability to talk with the agent who was actually holding my fax in his hand. It's always good to note good customer service when you get it!
Not a professional opinion.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Technically a grantor trust (like RRSP, TFSA, RESP) does not require an EIN if the taxpayer is still alive, but there is no harm.

Thanks for pointing out how easy it is to get one, however.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
CdnAmerican

Post by CdnAmerican »

Thanks nelsona! That's what I thought too, but after I previously submitted my 3520 and 3520-A the IRS assigned an EIN to my 'trusts' (TFSA, RESP, child's savings account). Their letter suggested it was necessary; in any event I suspect it will make it easier for them to keep track of my future 3520's.
Not a professional opinion.
shopgirl1

Even easier - just call

Post by shopgirl1 »

Just received my EIN by calling 267-941-1099 (for filing outside US-originated EINs only).

The agents have the ability to receive the application by phone, and I was able to file without the fax. The agents can only process 1 EIN application per call so clearly it is quicker to fax if you have a couple. Depending on the agent they may choose to require you to fax after the call and sometimes, during the call, at their discretion.

As the OP noted, there's no wait time on the phone lines at night, and their hours are currently 6am to 11pm EST.
zhangym

Post by zhangym »

I called the number 267-941-1099 to check the EIN number of my banks, but they asked for the address of the bank, which I cannot find on internet.
I use RBC Investment for RRSP and RESP and TD Canada Trust for TSFA. Can someone be kindly enough to provide me with the EIN you have already found out? My email address is liskabiometry@tom.com.
Thanks in advance.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This an an EIN for YOU, not the banks EIN.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
zhangym

Post by zhangym »

ah~~ got it.
So I have to apply it for myself, and one for each bank, right?